Let them be little

Let them be little

10.07.2011

October 7. THE Buddy Walk Post.


It's hard for me to ask people to come to events,even parties, or ask for donations, even if for a great cause. I would be a terrible sales person, and no one would want to hire me. It's because I don't like people to feel obligated, or think there is anything in it for me. I have backed down when asking for a raise at work, and was never good at those little door to door fund raisers for school. BUT, this time, I can't feel bad. Still, I don't want people to feel obligated or anything, but I am SOOOOOO SUPER DUPER passionate about this, and maybe that's why I don't feel so bad.

October, as you know, is Down Syndrome Awareness month. I want to do my part, big or small to raise awareness for these sweet people. I want people to be aware that these people are more alike the typical than they are different. I love that money raised during this month can go to organizations that help to better the lives of these sweet people. I also LOVE that there are people doing research and studies about Down Syndrome, so they we can help them to be a bigger part of our communities. After doing my own researches every now and then, I have found that we as a society have come SO SO SO far when it comes to special needs and disabilities. I am SO thankful for the parents that fought for our DS and special needs children to do something as simple as go to public school. Before having Annabelle, I knew nothing about DS, and I see that is the case for most people who don't know someone personally with DS. So, I will do my best, along with many others this month, to help others learn something NEW! :)

"The Buddy Walk® was established in 1995 by the National Down Syndrome Society to celebrate Down Syndrome Awareness Month in October and to promote acceptance and inclusion of people with Down syndrome. Today, the Buddy Walk program is supported nationally by NDSS and organized at the local level by parent support groups, schools and other organizations and individuals.

Over the past sixteen years, the Buddy Walk program has grown from 17 walks to nearly 300 expected in 2011 across the country and around the world. Last year alone, 285,000 people participated in a Buddy Walk! They raised more than $11.2 million to benefit local programs and services as well as the national advocacy initiatives that benefit all individuals with Down syndrome.

The Buddy Walk is a one-mile walk in which anyone can participate without special giftraining. It is an inspirational and educational event that celebrates the many abilities and accomplishments of people with Down syndrome. Whether you have Down syndrome, know someone who does, or just want to show your support, come and join a Buddy Walk in your local community!" -(from BuddyWalk.org)

This year, some of my sweet MOPS friends really encouraged me to do a team. So, we are. On October 23, will be Annabelle's Angels! I would love anyone to join our team, and if you are unable to join and come, you can still be a part of our team by donating HERE. It's super easy, and you can do it from across the world. :) I have a pretty small goal of raising $500. The Down Syndrome Association of Central Texas is a wonderful resource for our community, and amazing for new parents of these sweet kiddos. I would LOVE to see you help support them and all that they do for our families and friends. If you would actually like to come to Buddy Walk, and cheer on my sweet baby girl, please leave me a comment and I can tell you HOW! :) It's going to be an amazing time, and I can't wait too show Annabelle pictures someday, and tell her all about these sweet people who came out to support HER and her friends. I don't doubt that she will be lovingly appreciative.

No comments:

Post a Comment